With the long weekend fast approaching, an extra day off for you and the kids (yay!) is always welcome. Keeping the kids entertained when it’s cold and raining outside, on the other hand, can be a challenge. Luckily, we have a list of 10 great indoor activities for kids that’ll bring the fun indoors and brighten up the dreariest of days. If you’re looking to get out of the house with your brood or prefer to stay warm and toasty at home, we have you covered with plenty of indoor games to play with kids!
1. What better way to escape from a rainy afternoon that diving into a good book! Pack up the kids and head to Story Time at your local independent book store or library.
2. A personal favorite activity of ours growing up was bowling! Challenge the kids to a spirited game of bumper bowling at your local bowling alley.
3. Explore your cities local museums and exhibitions where your kids can discover art with some museums offering hands-on activities.
4. Take the kids on your daily pilgrimage to get your caffeine fix to keep up with your kids never-ending energy! MommyPoppins has kindly put together a list of kid-play friendly cafes in our local Brooklyn neighborhoods.
5. If you prefer to stay cosy indoors why not treat the kids (and yourself) to an afternoon of baking. It’s a great way to pass the time and tucking into the treats at the end isn’t bad either!
6. It’s too cold to go outside and play so why not bring the outdoors in, with an afternoon of indoor camping! Help the kids build a pillow fort or bedsheet-tent and cook s’mores!
7. This one is a little messier than the others but it’s a surefire hit! Make a batch of home-made slime with the kids for some gooey-mess fun in the kitchen!
8. Dust off those board games and have a board-game marathon day with the kids! Or if you’re anything like us, play Monopoly for 5 hours!
9. There’s nothing like a good old fashion treasure hunt to pass the time! Hide clues for the kids to find, leading to a treasure trove of indoor activities! It’s sure to keep the kids entertained well into the afternoon!
10. For the more active kids a fun energy-busting game is an indoor obstacle course. Set up the coarse in different rooms in the house for different stages and watch the kids forget all about being stuck indoors!
Whether you choose to stay home and play fun indoor games or venture out for some fun, we hope you have a great long weekend making memories with your family!